Thursday, January 28, 2010

Irises and Inspiration

Today my dear friend Beatrice, who is also my son's mother -in-law sent me an email with this picture of irises. It also came with the following inspirational thought:

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did. When God takes something from your grasp,  He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something  better.'
 I like this. It's something to ponder.

And I do love irises. There was a time in my life when I had a beautiful garden filled with irises. I collected them like some people collect spoons. I had irises in many different colours and I could identify from whom I had received each one.  An iris plant needs to be divided every few years and friends and neighbours would give me clumps from their gardens to plant in my garden. The iris plants were like friendship plants.

Then came the time when I had to leave that garden behind. I remember kneeling in the garden amongst my flowers, with tears rolling down my cheeks and I distinctly heard a voice say to me in my mind, "there will be other gardens."

That was over 10 years ago, and there has never been another garden like that one, (yet) however, when I moved into this home I was delighted to discover when spring rolled around that there was a beautiful clump of purple irises, just like the ones pictured here, in my new garden.

Perhaps it's time to start collecting again....

No comments:

Post a Comment