Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Abundance Mentality

Ironically, on my daily calendar from Steven Covey's book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" the following quote was revealed today as I tore off the top page:
The Abundance Mentality flows out of a deep inner sense of personal worth and security. It is the paradigm that there is plenty out there and enough to spare for everybody. It results in sharing of prestige, of recognition, of profits, of decision making. It opens possibilities, options, alternatives, and creativity.
It has been at least five years since I discovered the Law of Abundance. Basically it  is the point of view that there is more than enough for everyone, that we don't need to be greedy about anything. Learning this law and applying it in my life literally changed my career. When I began believing that there were more than enough leads, and more than enough money to buy the houses I designed, it proved true.

Interestingly enough, yesterday it was announced that one of the consultants in the Seattle office earned the top spot in the company world wide for 2009, the one I held in 2008. As soon as I heard, I fired off an email congratulating him. What an amazing accomplishment in the recession based USA. Then I took the opportunity to congratulate him publicly on his business Facebook page, where all his clients could see. If he published the news himself, he might appear to be "less than humble", however, by me announcing it, he gained credibility in a legitimate way.

He wrote me the kindest thank you email today. He and I are the top two designers in the company, swapping first place back and forth, we could be fierce competitors, but instead we've developed a synergy that motivates and encourages us and helps us to be better at our careers. And just like the Covey quote states, together we've come up with new ideas, alternatives and creative ways of doing business because of our abundance attitudes.

I'm thankful for this good person in my life and the terrific relationship we've developed over the years, for his unflagging enthusiasm and passion for what he does.  I can say that we inspire each other in our careers.

It's a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment