Thursday, February 25, 2010

Happy 200th Chopin

This evening, after a long hard day at the home show, I attended a piano concert given by Jan Lisiecki. He is a 14 year old prodigy who plays the piano like he was born in a piano. The entire concert was devoted to Chopin, it's his 200th birthday in a few days. As well, he accompanied a string quartet for part of the concert. The music was divine and so uplifting.

It was a benefit concert for Unicef, and Jan was presented with the Youth Volunteer of the Year Award for 2009.

My dad and I watched a documentary about him at Christmas, so when I had the chance to buy tickets for his concert I jumped at it. Even though I was dead tired, I went anyway, and was touched and soothed by the music. It was truly a beautiful concert.

Here's a little taste of his playing: Jan Lisiecki - Chopin Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise 2

No comments:

Post a Comment